I just got back from a meeting to find five missed calls on my cell phone.
One of my messages was from my mom, saying she thought she'd gotten a missed call from the preschool, where Gabi is at right now, but her hair was full of dye and could I please call them?
None of the other messages were from the preschool, but one of the missed numbers most definitely was.
My heart started pounding as I returned the call. The Director said he wasn't aware of an emergency, but would go check on her and call me right back. Which he did, with good news.
Turns out they served milk during snack time and Gabi drank two large glasses before announcing to her teachers that she's allergic to dairy.
The head teacher frantically went down the call list, first calling me, then my mom, until she finally reached my husband, who reassured her that while Gabi is indeed allergic to milk, it's in no way lethal.
Gabi can have a small amount before she starts to break out in an itchy rash and gets a really bad tummy ache and diarrhea. So she's not in harms way, but I think two big glasses might have pushed her over the edge. Tonight might not be so pleasant!
I called my mom back, and we couldn't help but laugh that Gabi drank the milk BEFORE she told her teachers that she was allergic to it. It's so like her to do something she knows she's not supposed to do, then cheerily announce it to the world. Those poor teachers were probably in a panic!
Thank goodness Gabi doesn't have a serious allergy, though. It looks like the preschool doesn't have the green health form I filled out listing milk under allergies, so it didn't get noted in the room snack folder. I'll fill out a new one right away.
Gabi and I will be having a big No Milk talk tonight. And hopefully that will be the end to scaring the teachers. Though I kind of doubt it.